Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers & Children:
Looking for unique, exciting ways to teach preschoolers & kindergarten children all about the alphabet in the preschool or kindergarten classroom?
Looking for Preschool Alphabet themes or alphabet lesson plans?
Learning the alphabet is an important part of a young child’s learning & development as they progress into reading, writing & spelling areas of their learning.
Here is a fun creative activity or preschool alphabet theme you can use with your child or the children and preschoolers in your care.
Alphabet Activities Theme & Circle Time Activity:
Each week you could have a different letter of the alphabet be the focus of learning during your circle time activities etc.
So, starting with the letter ‘A’ you could devote an entire 5 day week to discussing the letter ‘A’ during your circle time activities and your routine.
Get a Large Poster or Picture of the Letter for that Week:
Find a large letter, draw a large letter or find a poster with the letter of the week and have it displyed in the circle time area or classroom where the children can see it.
Everyday, for the week of the letter in question, you could then discuss a new ‘word’ that starts with that Letter of the Week.
- For Example: Letter of the Week is ‘A’ – You would need a large picture of a letter ‘A’ and a small ‘a’ together so that the children can see the letter of the week.
- Each day of the week (Monday – Friday) you will ‘focus’ on a different ‘word’ that starts with the Letter of the Week (ex.) Apple.
- You could talk about Apples & how they start with the letter A.
- Have everyone say the word ‘APPLE’ and pronounce or emphasize and repeat the ‘AHH’ sound for the word ‘Apple’
- Bring apples into the classroom. Show how they can come in different colors.
- Bring in ABC Books, books on the Letter A, or a Book on Apples etc. Emphasizing the letter of the Week, in this example, the Letter A.
- You could also find songs that deal with the letter of the week or that deal with the letter of the day. (ex.) “Farmer Brown had 5 Red Apples” etc.
- You could actually even let children taste ‘Apples’ or ‘Apple juice’ keeping the focus on this being a fruit that starts with the Letter A.
Sensory Bin Activity:
Set up a sensory bin with some water. Place in some ‘plastic’ apples along with some washclothes or scrub brushes and let the children play with the apples in the water. The preschoolers can pretend they are washing apples.
Art Shelf Activities:
You could have alphabet printable coloring pages dealing the Letter of the week, or objetcs that start with the letter of the week (ex.) Apple coloring pages etc..
Preschool Classroom Library Materials:
You can have books that deal with the Letter of the week, or deal with the word of the day (ex.) Kids books about ‘Apples’ or other words or topics that start with that letter for the preschoolers. ABC Books work for that.
*This is only 1 simple example of things you can do for teaching preschoolers and young children about their alphabet. You can go through the entire alphabet, 1 Letter per Week and each day have a new ‘word’ based on the Letter of the Week.
Simply provide, pictures, books & objects as discussed above about the Letter of the Week and emphasize the pronunciation of the letter in the word and teach children about the ‘word of the day’.
Use your imagination to teach children & preschoolers about the alphabet and words that begin with the letters of the alphabet.
We will be discussing more on similar themes and preschool ideas about alphabets soon..
Please Share this Alphabet Activity or Bookmark it to help Spread the word.
Incoming search terms:
- Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers
- abc activities for preschoolers
- Alphabet crafts for preschoolers
- activities for preschoolers
- alphabet activities for kids
- alphabet songs for preschoolers
- alphabet worksheets for kindergarten
- alphabet theme for preschoolers
- alphabet activities for preschool children
- Fun Alphabet Games for Preschoolers